Little Dragon created an iTunes compilation which you can purchase here – and they’ve also had a word or two to say about each song …
1. “Jealous” by Faith Evans: Love this song, love Faith! One of my favorite singers. – Yukimi
2. “Chimera” by Nite Jewel: We did a few shows with Nite Jewel on the US West Coast. It’s dreamy, foggy, homemade sounds made by a dreamy girl . . . nice music to get lost into. We listened to her album a lot on the road. It brings back good tour memories. – Yukimi
3. “Journey in Satchidananda” by Alice Coltrane: Fred introduced me to this album in high school. It’s been with me ever since. It’s magic! Made me want to buy a harp. – Yukimi
4. “Abyss” by The-Dream: I love The-Dream. Energy on fire. Falsetto. Leather and motorbikes. lol . . . – Erik
5. “Here Comes the Hotstepper (Heartical Mix)” by Ini Kamoze: ‘Hotstepper’ is a nice midi-dubby heavy track by the fabulous Ina Kamoze. He has always been this uncompromised, inspiring character in my world. – Erik
6. “Diva” by Sebo K: This track does what every good house track should do . . . It makes you dance! Sebo K is one of my favorites right now. – Erik
7. “Batonga” by Angélique Kidjo: Nice vibes from early 90’s Paris Afro-pop. – Hakan
8. “Civilize Reggae” by Burning Spear: Deep, mystical reggae beat with one of the greatest singers on it. Jah! Rastafari! – Hakan
9. “Gotta Get Smart” by El Perro del Mar: It’s the perfect breakup song . . . a catchy pop tune on a hard subject. – Fred
10. “Electric Counterpoint: I. Fast” by Pat Metheny: Sometimes one guitar can be too much. In this track ten is just perfect. A wave of sound that makes you travel within. – Fred
A very kind visitor to this site, Chase, has informed me that “Nightlight” is available to download for the sum total of $0 from iTunes right now, using this link. Now, we’re all fans so we’ve probably got our hands on the album already, but you can send this to a friend or two, right? Let’s call it a musical conversion. Spread the word! Free (and brilliant) music!
You must’ve heard it by now, right? This is 2011! If you’ve not heard the Ritual Union LP by ways a leak or Internet radio or free (and legal) stream then you’ve been under a strongly soundproofed rock. The album is incredible and it is out officially to purchase this coming week – and wouldn’t it be nice, in 2011, to see the band selling strongly? I think it would, so here’s how we do it …
Or – preferably – head into your nearest town, track down their music store, grab the record whose cover holds a collection of newlyweds, pass over some of your hard earned pocket money for this piece of art slaved over by this great band, and in doing so you’ll be supporting the band, your local economy, local music providers, and your ears.
So, “Ritual Union”, the single, EP has been released on iTunes (American iTunes at least) for $3.49. At first I think the impression was that the remixes would be of Little Dragon songs from the forthcoming album, and while this is true I think people mixed up Ritual Union the LP with “Ritual Union” the single name, so it’s essentially a single release, but an exciting one nonetheless. The beautiful artwork is once again by the talented Jan Scharlau. Here’s the setlist:
1. Ritual Union
2. Ritual Union (Maya Jane Coles Remix)
3. Ritual Union (Tensnake Remix)
4. Nightlight (Unknown Mortal Orchestra Remix)
If you go to the iTunes storeand type “Little Dragon” in the search function and hit the enter key and continue to click on “Ritual Union”, you’ll find that a play icon appears when you hover on top any song title. Click said play icon and you’ll be privy to 1 minute and 30 seconds of each song. How long this will last I’m unsure, but it’s tantalising for now and has whetted the appetite more than I could ever had expected. Let it be the 26th, please.
What are you most excited by? Personally, I cannot pretend to not be knee-weakening-excited by “Please Turn”.
Not a joke: If you’re a resident of the United Kingdom and you’ve got an account with iTunes, you can download SBTRKT & Little Dragon’s “Wildfire” for the total cost of zero pennies. I think that’s what they call a deal. Click the single cover to head on over to the iTunes store and collect the prize.
Edit: The one unfortunate issue is that you may still need to provide billing information, but you won’t be charged.
Hopefully this goes down well. This is just a teaser for the summer ahead or July 12th to be exact. What we’ve got here are four tracks, three of which are live, that will feature on Ritual Union when it surfaces in a couple of months. “NightLight” is the leaked and unmastered version. Remember, you can actually purchase this on iTunes (US) and I’d persuade you to do so as the difference is audible and certain and supporting the artist by throwing out a few pence is surely something that won’t significantly harm your pocket, hopefully. The others, including an excellent recording of “Little Man”, are live performances – which as Little Dragon fans well know can be superior to the record itself.
1. “NightLight” (Unmastered)
2. “Ritual Union” (Late Night with Jimmy Fallon)
3. “Summertearz” (Pitchfork)
4. “Little Man” (IFC at SXSW)
Note: Removed as per request.
Little Dragon have released their first single off the upcoming Ritual Union LP and it is “NightLight”. The song is available to download from the US iTunes website here, although for whatever reason it seems to be only available in that territory (maybe due to their strong Californian following). Yukimi posted on twittledragon that the single had reached number twenty-two on the single download chart after just two days. You’ve probably heard the streaming quality version of the release (which came about with the initial press release outlining the album due date, appearing on Pitchfork), but at least now we’ve got the chance to get ourselves a truly high quality version of this wonderful track.
The artwork was created by Jan Scharlau and you can check out extended versions of the piece at his website. Ritual Union really is shaping up to be an incredible record. We’ve now heard “Little Man”, “SummerTearz”, “Ritual Union”, and “NightLight” and each is better than the other. Summer can’t come quick enough. If you’re American, go purchase “Nightlight”. It’s just $.99! “Flyin’ like a heroine…”